Thursday, March 15, 2007

Dante's rehabilitation

By the way, Dante doesn't seem to have been as 'ugly' as he is made out to be according to an article I read in an Australian newspaper. His nose might not have been all that big. Perhaps someone did a CSI-type facial reconstruction for him and found out we'd been too cruel all these years to think of him as less of a looker. All those rather severe statues of him, like the one I went and prayed to in Verona for my First in Paradiso studies in my final year, might not be accurate. The article suggested he might not have been so scary, so stern. Perhaps I could refer them to a passage or two of Inferno to change their minds? I always thought he looked handsome as he was.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lindsay said...

i always thought he looked just right for a penner of poetry. quite a looker. or perhaps the veronese were just being kind to him. either that or we had re carlo specs on.

8:49 AM

 
Blogger frangipan said...

Re Carlo specs! We definitely had our Re Carlo specs on but he'll always be beautiful to us Linds. And we'll always have Re Carlo...

8:46 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home